Friday, May 13, 2011

Berfu: Paintings & Final Project

These are the paintings of the apples I was talking about in class. I'm fairly inexperienced in oil painting, so I consider these two my first oil paintings.
Apples against the warm colored background - sorry that the picture is blurry.

Apples against the cool-colored background - this is my second painting, so I had a better idea about how to mix colors and how to render the light-shadow in the background. They turned out to be a lot more realistic, better looking than my first apples.

Since I enjoyed painting a lot, I decided to take a risk (considering my lack of experience) and do a series of paintings for my final project. I arranged a still life of fake flowers and painted four pieces listening to different genres of music. I was hoping that even though I was painting the same still life, each piece would somehow reflect the mood of the music I was listening to. My hypothesis turned out to be correct since at the end each painting was different from each other, and it was even possible to guess which kind of music I listened to just by looking at the paintings!

The music genres, starting from the top left, are acid jazz, classical, metal and pop.

The specific songs that I listened to were :

  • Acid Jazz Samba by James Taylor Quartet for jazz
  • Dvorak Cello Concerto in B Minor performed by Jacqueline DuPre and Chicago Symphony Orchestra for classical
  • Holy Wars...The Punishment Due by Megadeth for rock/metal
  • S.O.S by Rihanna for pop

No comments:

Post a Comment