Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Asya - Final Project and other work

Here is a photo series of each panel of my project in the making.


First, I put down a layer of water color to the irate middle-aged Russian man in the story, and added pen lines to make his features stand out.


I did the same thing with the naive young reporter. The jawline was a little off but I fixed it later. I cajoled two friends into posing for me as references for both men.


I then added angry red lines in the background to signify yelling, but it turned out messy-looking.


So, I cut out both men but didn't like not having a background. I think I like how the rolled cuffs on the shirt came out the best.


I used paper that I painted with water color to layer blocks of color and give the impression of a harsh interaction taking place between the men. The orange coming from the eyes of the Russian is supposed to invoke laser beam eyes. Laser beams of anger! The faces are overdone; I should have used less color.


The second piece of my triptych was a painting of a goldfish, a central figure in the story.


I got annoyed that I kept using oil paints like water colors and layered the paint on with a palette knife.


Final result: shocked-looking goldfish. Awesome!


Next I threw water color on another sheet and inked out a man.


It is the Russian, trapped in his own goldfish bowl.


Conflict resolution - sad but peaceful. I hope I gave the impression of water.

****
Here are some other pieces I've worked on during the semester.

I drew several pictures of Robert Krulwich when he came to speak at Brown about Radiolab, which is probably the best podcast in the world.


This bull with a teacup drawing is for story-telling club ("Bull and scones", a play on "Skull and Bones").


My friend Vish looking depressed while studying physics.


RISD museum statue.


RISD museum photograph.


Unfinished tree rendered in 0.5mm pens.


My bf looking intense while doing his physics homework.


More physics - Al's Breakfast - Oinkytown!


A couple at the Brown Folk Festival.


Self-portrait while sitting on a bus for four hours. So tired/hungry/sick of bus smells!


Creepin' on Ian teaching in class -surprise! :)

Thanks for a great semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment