Monday, May 9, 2011

Kati: Final Project

For my final project, I decided to create a laptop holder for the gym (I get nervous with my computer on that little ledge).


I started out by building a rough prototype, which actually worked okay.But there were a few modifications I wanted to make to the design-- it needed to be wider, the side arms were awkward, I wanted a cut out in the front panel to use the touch pad, and I wanted a holder for my water bottle and a handle to carry it.

Next, I built this version, which is exactly what I want. I've used it a lot since I built it and am really happy with it.

Ian suggested that I try making a digital version for the website Ponoko, which allows you to upload 2D and 3D design files and then will make them for you, for a fee.
I downloaded a program Google designed called SketchUp, which is really easy to use, and after a few tweaks, I successfully managed to upload the design to the left to Ponoko.








As you can see, the estimate for making the apparatus on Ponoko is a little steep for a college budget. Ponoko is a lot cheaper if you design in 2D instead of 3D, so I decided to try to design a 2D version of my laptop holder that could be made functional through bending and interlocking pieces.







I experimented with a number of interlocking pieces and finally ended up with the flat design on the left, which assembles into the design on the right.
















It wasn't the right size and the construction wasn't perfect, so I rebuilt it again. As in the last image, the design on the right cuts out and can be assembled into the apparatus on the left.















While I got the dimensions right, a lot of the pieces of this version were cut the wrong way along the grain of the cardboard in order to maximize space. So I built it again, rotating some of the pieces and trimming them.   
   

















I felt like I had my design the way I wanted, so I went on to Ponoko to build a digital version. However, 2D designs must be built on templates, and the largest template is 15.1 inches by 31.1 inches (the smaller dimension of my project is 16"). My next steps now are to build another cardboard model out of a piece of cardboard no bigger than 15.1 by 31.1 inches, then build that on the computer, figure out the best material, and get a quote.

No comments:

Post a Comment