Monday, May 9, 2011

Charlie--Final Project

href="file://localhost/Users/charliepfaff/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/msoclip/0/clip_filelist.xml" rel="File-List">
My final project is a graphic novel entitled “The Flight Attendant.” It’s much easier to view on the computer than in print because the drawings appear faded. If you’re viewing on your computer you might have to tilt the screen around to get the best view. The story is based on something that happened to me as I was returning home for spring break. I’ll let the plot speak for itself though.

I tried to incorporate everything we had learned about drawing this semester. I drew from the inside to the outside to start, and didn’t get hung up on outlines. I also employed a lot of principles discussed by Scott McCloud in “Understanding Comics” and “Making Comics,” as well as what I learned in a graphic novels class I took last semester. One example is the relationship between words and art. Rather than having the words and art be “duo-specific,” meaning that they both communicate the exact same information (like a children’s book), I embraced the freedom that the words lent to my artwork. As a result, drawings are often unrelated on a literal level to the type, although they are related on a metaphorical level or they foreshadow events to come.

One thing that’s noticeable about my figures is that none of them have eyes. This was a deliberate choice, because I wanted to distress the reader and match the emotional tone of the piece. As we learned about when we discussed Gestalt principles, there are places on a piece of art that a reader’s eyes are drawn to. One of these is the eye of the figure. By removing the eye, the reader gets a little bit of a lost feeling, which benefits their reading.

I really enjoyed doing this project, and I hope everyone gets something out of the final product.










No comments:

Post a Comment