Sunday, April 24, 2011

Asya - Derive and Final Project

For my derive, I wrote and narrated a story about my meanderings. I really enjoy the process of story telling, and thought about how inflection and intonation can accentuate or color various phrases or aspects of a story. I made several records of the same story, and didn't think any of them had the inflection I was looking for throughout the entire story, but the sharpest-sounding one came close. You can hear it here: http://floatingwaffle.tumblr.com/post/4912974369/clambering-out-of-providence

For my final project, I want to make a triptych of a story I am condensing and retelling that centers on three wishes. The center panel will be an oil painting, the other panels may be mixed media and ink. I want to display my triptych with the story playing in the background. Time permitting, I also want to ask my fellow students what they would wish for, overlay their voices, and highlight the most interesting responses.

I want my project to reopen the conversation we had as a class about "What is Art?" by blurring the line between original pieces and appropriation. Does appropriation count as art? What is an artful way to tell a story? What is the difference between stories that are art and stories that are not art? Does story-art have to be removed from reality? I am interested in the deepest desires of other people, and wonder how much they will share with a stranger.

No comments:

Post a Comment