Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ian - Derive

I did my derive today by longboarding from the top of charlesfield down to whiskey republic and then across india point park towards the studio ... Being in motion and on the streets I tend to pay most attention to what is moving around me. I break from the rules and boundaries constraining those in the city: Cars stop at light, people walk on sidewalks, but I become much more limitless. The streets are filled with predictable obstacles and I make my own path around and through the slopes I see before me .. I weave down charlesfield and carefully watch the cars on the streets below to time my passing though the open interception. Carving harder as I reach the bottom I bank my turn onto benefit and continue down the hill. I see that my passage is open and carve wide down the street. With each pass I feel the loose gravel collected on the edges of the street begin to come loose beneath my wheels. Reaching the bottom of the hill I see a red light but few cars passing on the street below. Quickly I make the decision to bank right into an open lane the cut across the street with the first opening. I see an open path aside the road and take my cut out. From here I take a casual ride down the flat streets towards the studio. I see a world more still then the bustle street I had left behind me. I pass under tunnels which throw shadows over the cracks and bumps I must avoid. Finally I reach the studio, and for the first time allow my feet to leave the board ... A rush. and ready for another run.

No comments:

Post a Comment