Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Kim- derive and final project

I went to Washington, DC last weekend with some friends for a conference on alternative energy. Getting everywhere on the agenda required us to navigate the city's streets and subways, so we were forced to plan out our days in advance- quite the opposite of a derive. However, the last day was so sunny and beautiful that we refused to stay cooped up inside conference centers, so we ditched the warehouse surroundings and headed outside on foot. Although we had originally planned to go to the Smithsonian museums, we found ourselves walking aimlessly along reflecting ponds and down wooded paths. It was such a lovely break from a weekend of rushing from one form of transportation to another. Letting my feet wander gave me time to reflect and enjoy a day without plans. When I was telling my parents about our trip, they asked what I did on the day we left the conference. In all honesty, we did nothing, but it was so peaceful that it felt like something.

On our walk, we ended up at the National Botanical Gardens which were lovely all in bloom. I took many pictures because I was obsessed with the vibrant colors of the flowers and the intricacies of the petals. For my final project, I would like to try to paint the flowers I saw, similar to the style of Georgia O'Keefe.

No comments:

Post a Comment