Sunday, April 24, 2011

Carmen - Derive


Today’s weather was beautifully conducive to a derive. I went on my adventure with Jane and our friend Ursula, and we had a great time meandering around Providence. We originally planned to kind of cheat and go to Blackstone Park, but we didn’t make it and I’m really glad. I didn’t really find that the derive had any theme until the second half – I just took pictures of the beautiful blooming trees and buildings that jumped out at me. Then for some reason I got really interested in numbers. Once I started taking pictures of them, I began to notice how many different kinds of things are numbered in cities – houses, construction areas, street signs, license plates…and this all got me thinking about how we structure our environments. Cities are such impressive bodies: they are filled with people living and working and navigating around each other, and somehow everything usually goes by relatively smoothly. We have created these interesting systems that somehow provide order to our habitat, and somehow all these forces shape an environment with a defining culture. I’ve included the pictures that represent these musings, and I chose to order them numerically (even though I did not take them this way) to demonstrate how all the different things we choose to arrange fit together to create a city. 











No comments:

Post a Comment