Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Berfu: Final project

For the Brown Fashion Show I'll be working in backstage, doing hair/makeup of the models. This inspired me to do something about makeup for my final project. Makeup is not one of the first things that comes to mind when thinking about different branches of visual arts, but I think it is a very creative process which might be used as a means of expression.

I've always been a girly girl, very interested in styling and makeup. I watch video tutorials of makeup artists on the web and try to apply them on myself occasionally. While looking for these videos I saw that the artists usually come up with a theme and create a makeup style accordingly. For example I came across with one artist who chose the theme of "world cities" and developed her idea by creating different makeup styles for each famous city. Paris makeup was marked by a red lipstick, London look evolved around smokey eyes etc.

I want to make a similar portfolio consisting of different makeup styles according to a theme for my final project. As a theme I thought of martinis at first, since I love martinis, there are many different types of them and each look very colorful. I thought I might also be inspired by the ingredients of martinis and create a look accordingly. However, after my derive I started to pay more attention to surroundings and now I'm considering to create a different makeup style for each Brown building, at least for the ones I've been to. Most of the Brown buildings look very similar to each other, since they were built in the same time periods when a certain architectural style was dominant, but I thought I can create very different looks for each, deriving ideas from the stories of the buildings and my own experience with them.

I will use a makeup template, which is basically an empty, quite dull-looking face. After trying out my ideas on the template, I might apply the makeup on a real person and take a photograph of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment