Monday, April 25, 2011

Jonathan 6: Dérive and Final Project

My dérive was a rather interesting one. I had originally intended on doing it somewhere around Brown's campus, but I actually ended up going home (Boston) Thursday night, so I spontaneously decided to do it then. It was an odd experience that I was not expecting to have, especially because that was the first time I had been home in months, having come back to campus early for winter break and staying on campus for all of spring break both due to track practices. I've lived in my neighborhood in Boston for over 10 years, but on my dérive I managed to discover areas in my neighborhood I have never seen before. During my hour dérive, I ventured into a small wooded area split by a parkway near my house. I have driven by in countless times, but never actually been in it. Meandering through the forest as it was nearing sundown made me think back to all of the Thoreau readings we've all had in english class in high school. I came across a marsh, a number of streams, and countless living quarters of various animals. I was surprised to stumble upon such an environment in a fairly urban area. It was the first time I had ever ventured on any type of walk like this, but I will likely do more in the future.

For my final project, I will build a chair. I will follow a similar process as I did with the iterations of my table design, challenging the notion of "what is a table," while creating a sense of movement within the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment