Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Christine - Final Project

For my final project I am going to be putting together a number of short videos that address various themes in consciousness, awareness, and perception. These short videos consist mainly of stock/found footage set to music. I am interested in using video editing techniques to create videos that at once generate a certain mood in the viewer and bring to mind questions of the power and reliability of perception. An individual is only capable of interpreting the world through his sensory experiences - specifically, I want to explore how these sensory experiences influence the way individuals navigate through the abstract structures that dominate society. How does a sensory experience translate into "meaning"? How does the act of making an associations between an abstract concept and a specific object affect the way the object is perceived? How does the categorical/symbolic language of social structures affect conceptions of the body and the self? I find video editing to be an excellent medium for addressing these questions. Editing together a series video clips means I can provide viewers with an ordered arrangement of images that build on each other and work as a coherent whole to convey a certain message or idea. For example, by carefully choosing a sequence of moving images and how they are cut together I can create a sense of continuity between disparate ideas, showing their commonality.

I also plan on putting together a simple website in which I could display my video clips and some of the other work I have done throughout the semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment