Thursday, February 17, 2011

Corey - Thierry absolved

Much like some of the other artists in Exit Through the Gift Shop, I feel somewhat betrayed by art due to MBW's massive success. I could not help but feel like life is beautiful was a disgusting collection of mass produced formulaic art. While I still strongly believe Thierry didn't have this purpose, Lessig gave life is beautiful a new definition for me. Life is Beautiful is the in your face rebellious climax of taking what's been given and changing it to recreate it. In this sense Thierry sums up a generational struggle. It could be argued that the whole exhibition is fighting for the rights of UGC.
However, I feel a new question arises. Even if UGC was all considered legal, could it be considered art. I can see a message behind Thierry's show but are countless iterations of a single idea, like the campbells chicken spray paint, considered art? In the same way is every person lip sinking a song on the internet art?
I suppose I think no matter how painful to the ears or irritating most youtube videos are, it is still a mass generated movement through creativity and expression and in that sense it defines art.

No comments:

Post a Comment