Thursday, February 24, 2011

Berfu: Copy

I wanted to copy either a black and white photograph or a sculpture, because I thought the drawing of such a piece would emphasize the different aspects of it, and even if I choose to stay faithful to the image, the effect the drawing creates at the end would be very different than the effect of the original piece. While going through the images at RISD, I found a close up Michelangelo's famous sculpture "Pieta".

 I didn't change much of the original image, except that I brought it a little closer and cut some parts from left and right corners to get rid of a part of the dark background and work easier with a grid. I can't say my drawing looks as good as I wanted it to be, but I guess I achieved my point by not smoothening the edges and emphasizing the line, thus creating a completely different effect than the smooth texture of the original sculpture creates.

No comments:

Post a Comment