Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Jesse - Lessig Response

Lessig was right when he said that the culture of our parents is so very different than the culture of our generation.  While they lived in a more "closed" culture, we experience a culture that is incredibly open and free. This explains why people currently are exploring art in more diverse and varied ways that bring into question the legal matters related to the creation of art. However, these legal problems arise only when the past culture comes into contact with the current culture.

I think that it is rare for me to look at a piece or art and question its "validity". However, there are times when I look at a piece of art and think about whether it is "right" that the artist took the majority of the work from another artist. While at times I believe that it is okay for artists to sample works from another artist, like in the creation of remixes of songs, I do not agree with Lessig's assertion that modern artists need to accept that their works will be reproduced and redistributed by people in order to reach a certain end (money, notoriety, etc.). It bothers me to think that I can produce a work of art and then have someone else profit off of it or a different variation of it. It would make me feel good that someone was so inspired by my work that he/she used it to make their own work of art, but I would still feel that I would at least have some rights to that "new" piece of art. Even if somewhere in the title of the piece there is a mention: "inspired by Jesse's [work of art]) I would be content with that. However, I do not think that I would be okay with someone taking full credit for their version of my work of art.

My opinions on the copyright topic may end up reducing the variety of art that exists today, but I ultimately think that it is the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment