Thursday, February 24, 2011

Monica - Larry Lessig Reaction

While watching the Lessig video, I found myself asking why people are so opposed to the idea of change. I think one answer could be that people feel our culture is becoming more impersonal as more advances in technology are made. Take Sousa's argument against "talking machines" for example, as he felt that such technology would ruin the artistic development previously generated by folks gathering in front of the house and singing the songs of the day. I don't believe technology stifles traditional artistic development or forces us to abandon the old way of doing things but instead creates new avenues for modern artistic development. I have never truly considered myself to be the most creative or artistic individual and I often look upon the work of others to draw inspiration. I personally believe that outright copying somebody else's work is wrong, but I think that using the work of another as a foundation to build upon is a form of art to be embraced.

In this day and age where an endless amount of information is readily available at our finger tips I can understand the concern for the protection of certain property rights and I agree that credit should  be given where credit is due. But because we do live in a society where we are constantly sharing information and have the technology to keep producing without limits, I think we should maximize our potential instead of "choking our creativity."

No comments:

Post a Comment