Saturday, February 26, 2011

Jane: Toulouse-Lautrec Copy

The difficulty I faced in the reproduction of this Toulouse-Lautrec painting was within the change of medium. Toulouse-Lautrec, as an impressionist, does a lot with brushstroke and color, two things that I lacked with pencil. I started out drawing very controlled lines, using the grid to create basic outlines of shapes, but as so much of the painting was determined by brushstroke, I soon resorted to copying shading. I loosened up, got a bit messy with rough sketching, turned the palm of my hand silver with graphite, and the whole thing seemed to settle more into the impressionistic style. I really do regret the lack of color, though: the red hair just attracts the focus in the most perfect way, and pencil isn't fit to capture that effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment