Friday, February 11, 2011

Chris: T-shirt Design

I wanted to create a design that offers a creative reinterpretation of the everyday. I thought it would be interesting to make a composition by focusing on the commonalities between two otherwise unrelated objects. I took an image of a necklace/earring set and replaced the jewels with neon-colored pills. I chose to remove these items from their cultural context and instead emphasize their similar forms and aesthetic appeal - the identical oblong/spherical shapes and bright colors of pills and gems, the curvature of the jewelry's metalwork. From afar my design would appear to be a childish piece of jewelry, but closer examination would reveal the presence of brightly colored pills. Then people would probably assume the person wearing the shirt is trying to make a statement about big pharma or drug culture. Which is fine, but I just wanted to make something that looked interesting.


Version 1 (the one I prefer - I like the contrast b/w the black and hints of color)
 Version 2

No comments:

Post a Comment